Monday 7 April 2014

F - Forgiving and Forgetting

Monday 7th April 2014

One of the most common ideas about Christians is that they are forgiving. In Sunday school, we are taught to "forgive and forget" when someone hurts us. This idea is true. As Christians we are called to love our enemies and forgive their strikes. What we are never taught, is how to do this.

There have been plenty of times in my life (refer to My Starfish Story: Bullying and My Starfish Story: Healing Self-harm). And there have been plenty of times I have forgiven someone... I'm a Christian. That's what we do right? 

What if I told you there are some things I haven't forgiven... some things that to this day, cause me to get in such a rage I lose my appetite and will to do anything productive that day. Those are the days I wish I could forget.




What good does it do though?  How does holding onto resentments and feelings of anger help in life? It doesn't get back at the person and doesn't give you a sense of relief afterwards. 



Jesus was and is a forgiver. He showed love to all people.  He also, displayed his anger towards the people he disagreed with but never gossiped about it. He confronted them with fire (hint; metaphor) rather than sulk in his bedroom in midst of self pity.

I personally want to be like Jesus. Strong. Loving. Forgiving.

It is time for me to forgive, forget and move on in my life. I encourage you to do the same.




Your Starfish Story is still being written . . . Have faith


No comments:

Post a Comment